Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Journal #10: No, Never Alone (Nets-5)

Conley, K. (2010). No, never alone. Learning & Leading with Technology, 36. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/

This article is about the advantages of building a personal learning network. Many teachers feel that they need to do all their learning on their own which can be very limiting. With resources such as the Internet and Web 2.0 collaboration tools, like Nings, wikis, and video/photo sharing sites, no educator should be trying to do it alone.  With so many tools available it can be easy to be overwhelmed and not use any of the tools.  A great tool to help educators start up there learning network is Educator’s PLN which is especially designed for educators and provides an easy to use format. You can quickly learn how to view videos, photos, articles, twitter feeds, and forums that are accessible on the site. Sites like this one will allow you to connect with educators from all over the world and give you resources that you otherwise wouldn’t have at your fingertips. With all of the resources available educators need to take advantage in order to become more effective teachers.
Q1. Do you think there are benefits to having a PLN?
I do think there are great benefits from having a PLN because you have knowledge from so many people throughout the world. You can learn from people that have been teaching for many years as well as from new educators that have new ideas.
Q2. How does this change your view of teaching?
This makes me feel more comfortable with my decision to become a teacher. I was one of those people that thought I would have to learn everything on my own but since I’ve taken this course I have realized there are great avenues for information available. I now feel that my transition into the classroom will be easier because all of the valuable information I can get from other educators in my personal learning network.

No comments:

Post a Comment